Hi Sean,

DSpace blocks until it can store the usage event (i.e. download,
collection-page view) before completing the action, i.e. serving a file.
So, if you are using SOLR or Elastic Search, the first time after a tomcat
restart, it has to wait until that service is ready. In your case, this is
likely a new-for-DSpace-5 feature, of Google Analytics Statistics, as
opposed to normal Google-Analytics-Tracker-Code that was asynchronous ajax
in XMLUI/JSPUI html.

I would check config/xmlui.xconf, having this commented out, should be your
best way to avoid this slowdown (but GA won't track that statistics).
https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace/config/xmlui.xconf#L103
<!-- Additionally you may choose to expose your Google Analytics statistics
in DSpace -->
<!-- <aspect name="StatisticsGoogleAnalytics"
path="resource://aspects/StatisticsGoogleAnalytics/" /> -->

Lastly, ideally, DSpace shouldn't block the action, to store some metrics.
Maybe the developers can revisit this, to ensure some background thread
performs this. When I completely turn off statistics, DSpace is a much
faster work horse, with too many turned on, or if they're misconfigured,
then slow downs are more normal. Also, another thing to think about is log
analysis. In your case, these Network unreachable / network timeouts could
be noticed in the logs, for you to pay attention to. i.e. having a smart
log analysis tool detecting trends.

Peter Dietz
Longsight
www.longsight.com