Hi Peter,

This seems to be exactly what the "Access" step is for (using either the
Simple or Advanced settings).

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/Embargo#Embargo-AccessStep

You should be able to just enable that Access Step. Setting the embargo
via that step applies to the entire Item (including metadata), if I
recall correctly. By default, if you use the "Simple" version, it'll
limit Anonymous READ access (on the Item) so that it starts on the date
the embargo ends. If you use the "Advanced" version, you can specify
exact groups whose READ access should be limited (just be sure to click
the "Confirm Policy & add another" for each embargo policy).

I've verified this works properly on the Demo site. Here's an item that
I just submitted that is fully embargoed until Friday:

http://demo.dspace.org/xmlui/handle/10673/127

By default, when not logged in, it's not visible (you'll see an "Item is
restricted" page). But, if you login as the Admin account on the Demo
server, you'll see it exists.

- Tim