--- In dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com, "ken cleaver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was thinking about jumping over to dstar and getting a IC-92AD. I
have a
> bunch of questions if anyone can help me.

I hope you make it on over to D-STAR

> Does it seem like there is significant growth in dstar? Are there
other
> manufacturers adopting?

Yes, its growing very fast.

Icom is the only manufacturer that is exporting radios to North America,
a loss for the other manufacturerss, hopefully the others will see the
light.

> How is the IC-92AD radio? I have been running a VX-5 radio for a
while.

I don't have a 92AD, but do have a 91AD and like it very much.  They are
similar radios, except the  92AD is submersible, has four power settings
instead of two and has a higher battery capacity, has an additional GPS
reporting mode, has the GPS microphone option ($$$), and I understand
the control/programming software has some additional features.

For me:

1. I don't ake my handheld swimming and have never dropped one in the
toilet or into the water while fishing.  If you live in hurricane
country or have a habit of dropping your radio in the water this would
be a nice asset.

2. The additional power settings is one option I would like to have,
these radios can use up batteries and shut down without notice (at least
the 91AD does), being able to adjust the power is a big plus and the
additional battery capacity would be nice.  I carry a spare battery and
just swap out. (Invest in a second battery and rapid charger --
aftermarket versions are about half the cost of the Icom units.)

3. The additional GPS mode (GPS-A) facilitates interoperation with the
Internet APRS reporting system, but the standard GPS mode also can feed
the Internet APRS reporting systems and can be displayed on other radios
(GPS-A is limited here).

4. The GPS Speaker mike is a nice add-on, but expensive.  If you already
have GPS that puts out NMEA sentences, a cable to the data port is
simple and effective.

5. I have found the 91AD software sufficient for my needs, though I use
DSTARCOM to import/export memory information between the program and a
spreadsheet for manipulation. (see:
http://k7ve.ampr.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid\
=26)

> GPS transmit while talking on the mike?

Yes.  You have to turn on GPS transmission, but it sends a continuous
stream of position reports while the mike is in operation, you can also
have it beacon at a set interval (not advised on repeaters).

> Is there a GPS cable for the newer etrex with USB?

USB is a problem.  But serial cables are available for older Garmin
Etrex as well as a variety of other GPS devices. (Jason at
http://rpc-electronics.com will cudom make cables for you at a
reasonable price. He also has a $65 GPS he can probably lash up for
you.)

> Does the GPS mike shorten batt life? Have its own batt?

I don't know what it uses for a battery, others probably can answer
this.

> Do  you set the digital call sign squelch with your ID for people
calling
> you? Or with others you expect to be calling?

Digital callsign squelch is not commonly used, but available. (Icom
extension)

> Is the range better or worse with dstar then the analog 2m/70cm?

See the article "DStar DV Sensitivity vs. Analog Sensitivity" (pgs. 4-5)
here: ftp://ftp.tapr.org/psr/psr105.pdf  -- the short answer is "it
depends" and digital is clearer to a point.

> Is there any background noise? Or is it digital clear?

It is "digital clear" ...

> Does audio disappear completely when on the fringe?

See the above listed article.

> Since the radio does ident do you need to ident verbally? Does it
display
> who is currently transmitting?

My interpretation is that you have a legal ID (in the US) every time you
transmit, most folks also give a voice ID out of habit.

> GPS signals passed through repeater for all to see?

Yes. The gateway as well. Remember the D-STAR signal is GMSK modulated
digital, the digital voice and data (including GPS) is a single data
stream.  The radios sort out the digital voice from the data, but it all
travels together.

> GPS works on simplex?

Yes.

> Can you open a link and listen to other repeaters? Or can you just
open it
> for a specific call sign?

This is kind of a moving target.  From your radio, you currently do not.
The linking is not like analog, IRLP or Echolink.  A transmitting
station can address their transmission to a remote repeater or to a
specific station through the gateway, stations on the other end have to
setup a return path to the local repeater or station -- it is not one
repeater linked to another.  The repeater/gateway operators can create a
link up that ties two (or more up to 10) repeater/gateway systems
together for nets, etc.   Also there is software for creating reflectors
that the gateways can connect to --  Lastly there is a device called the
DV-Dongle (http://dvdongle.com) that allows you to connect to gateways
or reflectors (or other dongles) with a computer and soundcard to
accomplish what you are describing -- but all transmitting stations need
to include gateway routing for this to work.

> When transmitting data, if data is lost does it automatically do a
> retransmit?

On Digital Voice, No. (This would be the case for a 91/92AD)  It is not
an error detect or correct protocol.  On Digital Data (e.g. the ID-1
23cm radios - 128K) you run Ethernet style protocols such as TCP/IP and
the data stream will have the integrity afforded those protocols.

> If you are traveling, and use another repeater, do you have to
transmit at
> your registered repeater when you return for the repeater to direct
your
> calls? Or does your home repeater always repeat as well as redirect
when
> away.

The gateway system sends calls directed to you to the last repeater you
were heard on -- there is some delay for the network to recognize when
you have moved to a new repeater (this can be several minutes under good
conditions), so its not like cell or trunked where you can move
instantly between repeaters (this will improve over time I believe).

> On the last heard site http://www.dstarusers.org/lastheard.php Is that
the
> last time they used the repeater, or used it as a gateway?

Gateway (It is becoming more common for people to always have the
gateway in RPT2 position so this report happens as well as for other
functionality such as repeater to repeater or reflector linking.)

> Also on last heard there is a letter after the reporting node, either
a B or
> a C. What does that letter mean?

It designates the repeater module on the controller there are 4
positions (23 cm DV and DD share a letter) , by convention:

A - 23cm
B - 70cm
C - 2m

John D. Hays
Amateur Radio Station  K7VE <http://k7ve.ampr.org>   VOIP/SIP:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Phone: 801-790-0950
206-801-0820
Fax: 866-309-6077
In the UK: 08449867545
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>