Steve wrote:

>  > The innovation is in software, just as it is in most "RF engineering"
>
> Precisely why D-Star bugs me. The firmware isn't even flash
> updateable. The d-star radio you buy might be capable of more, as one
> can imagine, but without some way to make it do more than what it's
> capable of out of the box, that kills the possible innovation.
> Upgradable firmware is very least they could have done. I'd really
> love to see a D-star radio with a firmware software development kit.

How much would you be willing to pay for it?  Tell Icom.  It's not going
to be as cheap as a "consumer" type of rig that is a closed system they
can test and verify is working before shipping.  :-)

Personally, I don't have the time to spend on hacking the rig's firmware.

Lots of consumer devices DO have the ability to update their code in the
field, via flash technology -- etc.  Those devices are hacked on by
people with LOTS of spare time, and everyone benefits, but the
manufacturers also tell you that if you do it... your warranty is null
and void.

An example of where this is "good" might be the venerable Linksys
WRT-54GS style routers.  Things like DD-WRT work great on them, but if
you screw up and "brick" your router (program it wrong, and can't
recover), you're on your own.

I don't think too many people have the money to do this with their rigs.
  Pre-built, working, tested rigs... aren't "evil" in any way.  And if
someone wants to build their own D-STAR rig, at least two hams have
proven it's already possible.

(So I'm not sure what's stopping you from hacking on a D-STAR rig, if
that's what you really want to do.  At least two of your peers are
already DOING it.)

>  > Why? Asterisk is analog. Who cares about linking analog to digital?
>
>  >
>  > That's useful TODAY in the mixed environment and in emergencies only.
>  >

> Asterisk is digital. It typically has analog endpoints called
> speakers and microphones, weather they are on telephones or radios.

I haven't seen ANY digital end-points on Asterisk, and since a digital
end-point needs to participate at a low protocol level with the network
it's talking to, any attempts to hack D-STAR *properly* into Asterisk,
ends up looking just like an Icom Gateway with Asterisk loaded... when
that's already possible today.  Of course, then you need some way to
pull the audio out of the D-STAR stream, un-VOCODE it and re-VOCODE it
into whatever other VoIP technology you like... and then send it on to...

Analog end-points.

Backward step in tech.  Doesn't work for me.

If someone REALLY wants to help D-STAR have a fully-digital/hackable,
back-end infrastructure, their time would be better spent volunteering
for Robin's OpenGateway project.  Not trying to hack D-STAR into Asterisk.

Asterisk is built for analog end-points, no matter how you slice it.
Any strap-on functionality for D-STAR will only act as a bridge between
analog radios and digital ones, and not a very good one at that.

A truly open Gateway leads forward.  Asterisk leads backward.

> You right the analog to digital linking isn't totally where it's at.
> Although it is useful for emergencies and interoperability.

I don't disagree here.  I just figure the D-STAR rigs do analog just
fine in an emergency... I can just switch memory channels for
"interoperability" without relying on a hack in the middle to link the
dissimilar technologies.

>  > What does linking D-STAR to Asterisk buy anyone? I'd truly be
>  > interested in what you think it might accomplish?
>  >
>  > I can think of two:
>  > - Autopatch? Yawn.
>  > - Linking to analog radios? Yawn.
>  >

> I could interface the D-star radio in my shack into my asterisk
> system. When someone on the radio makes a private call to my
> callsign, those callsigns would be the same as a DID or caller ID
> fields. I could then set those to route to a voicemail box or a ring
> group of phones upstairs in the event I wasn't at the radio.

Voicemail could be added to a truly open Gateway.  The rest (routing by
callsign) is a feature of D-STAR that is not exposed outside the rig to
external software.

(Plug a D-STAR rig into an Asterisk box, there's no way to tell the
Asterisk box what the rig is receiving for callsign routing information,
currently.  The protocol to "monitor the rig status live" in the later
rigs like the IC-92AD and IC-2820H is not public.  It's baked into the
RT Systems programming software though, so someone could
reverse-engineer it.  Until that part is done and someone can pass the
serial data from the rig to Asterisk, the whole idea is on its ear.  If
you're REALLY interested in innovation, that'd be a good project to
start with -- documenting how to see the information the rig is
receiving in the routing header, via the serial port in real-time.)

Ringing phones is just an autopatch, and covered in my original comment
above... at least for me that's a YAWN.  If I want a radio call, I'll
have my radio ON.  If not, I have no need to have people calling from
the radio to the PSTN (public switched telephone network).

Linking a callsign route from a D-STAR rig to my cell phone, isn't
something I have ANY desire to do.  Perhaps you do.  Definitely not
here, though.

> Or have that radio call route out another trunk, which could be
> another radio, ATA, etc.

Again, digital to analog is backwards.  And how does the person calling
you on D-STAR choose where this traffic out the analog side goes?  It's
a source-routed system.  You'd be effectively "routing" them to things
they may not have wanted to call you on.  I still see little use for
this other than for an individual.  (Tell me why a club president would
want to "buy" this technology for members... perhaps that's a better way
to ask it, that's more positive than me just saying, "not interested".
Give me your elevator pitch, that includes how much the project will
cost, and what my members "get" for their time and effort and money...
just like a business proposal in an elevator.)

> I could do something besides press the PTT, because I could interface
> my radio to Asterisk which is an open platform that I can script and
> customize to my liking.

Again: Open Gateway.

>  > Asterisk as it's being used today, is just a fancy analog repeater
>  > controller with VoIP linking features. Nice, and quite a good tool for
>  > analog repeaters, but analog -- in the long-term, is dead.
>
> I do agree with this too... but I do feel that's a long ways off.

It's further off the more we cater to digital to analog links.  Make
those links, no one buys and operates the native digital protocol
network (D-STAR in this particular case, but the same could be said for
any digital system that's trying to get going).  The users on the analog
side also never see what D-STAR can really do.

Basically I see it as a challenge... build the digital side, or build
bridges.  Resources taken from the former to feed the latter, slow down
the progress of the all-digital systems.

Let folks have their analog repeaters as long as they want.  That's
fine.  But if they want to play on a real, multi-national digital
system... they'll go buy an Icom rig (even if they have to hold their
nose and they'd prefer Yaesu or Icom) and get involved.

I think we're only a TINY way into what few folks who have time will
build overall for D-STAR, as far as add-on software, etc.  I don't see
it as very effective to stop, turn around, and build bridges back to
analog -- why bother?

We've now got a multi-national, working, linked system that's all
digital.  Let's focus on what we can do with it, versus linking it to
1970's technology.  (Or in the case of the telephone, 1800's technology.)

Nate WY0X