David Pyefinch wrote:

> We have one Digital Repeater in the home town of Ottawa, and after initial
> emails from the local repeater owner I tried to see if I could get this new
> toy to work. So far not so lucky, not sure if I am out of range or just do
> not have the HT configured properly. I guess I will have to wait for some
> snow fall and put that J Pole up on the roof that been sitting in the shack
> for 2 years Hi Hi.

Are there any analog repeaters co-located with the D-STAR?  If you could
try one of those, you'd know the coverage issue (if any).

> Anyways on to my point. I kind of expected that from the end user point of
> view I would be able to turn on the HT, Tune in the repeater and key the rig
> and talk to the world. Not so simple it seems from where I am sitting. Not
> sure if that is as simple as one can make it or not. Or if all the bells and
> whistles are making this D-Star an overly complex operation.

Definitely not the correct impression.  D-STAR has a learning curve
that's not super-steep for just talking on the local repeater (put in
your callsign and the repeater's callsign in RPT1 and YourCall fields,
respectively), but it's not "plug and play".

> I will try playing a little more when I have some time, but since I spend
> most of my time away from home and sitting in some Hotel I wonder if the
> Dongle is the way I should be heading.

Interesting observation.  The dongle does seem to work pretty well, from
those that have them.  (I do not.)

> Still It's great to see new technology making it's way to our hobby, and
> hopefully we will see Yeasu and Kenwood get on board as well. But not with
> three different non compatible offerings.

The latter is far more likely in Japanese business than the former.

Nate WY0X