Hello folks.

I recently purchased a 92AD and with interest have been reading the messages
from this and a few other user groups to try to get a Feel for this new
piece of technology.

Having come from a Technical background - more on the hardware side, I
thought it was great having Digital modes now on my HT (a step above APRS I
thought any way)

We have one Digital Repeater in the home town of Ottawa, and after initial
emails from the local repeater owner I tried to see if I could get this new
toy to work. So far not so lucky, not sure if I am out of range or just do
not have the HT configured properly. I guess I will have to wait for some
snow fall and put that J Pole up on the roof that been sitting in the shack
for 2 years Hi Hi.

Anyways on to my point. I kind of expected that from the end user point of
view I would be able to turn on the HT, Tune in the repeater and key the rig
and talk to the world. Not so simple it seems from where I am sitting. Not
sure if that is as simple as one can make it or not. Or if all the bells and
whistles are making this D-Star an overly complex operation.

I will try playing a little more when I have some time, but since I spend
most of my time away from home and sitting in some Hotel I wonder if the
Dongle is the way I should be heading.

Still It's great to see new technology making it's way to our hobby, and
hopefully we will see Yeasu and Kenwood get on board as well. But not with
three different non compatible offerings.

73

Dave

VE3OSY