Joel:

In an odd way I think we pretty much agree. What I was trying to achieve
was an accepted means to test and practice what we might be called upon
to do in a real emergency. You're idea of going ahead with using PGP or
some such encryption and transmitting the decryption keys in the clear
along with it is interesting. I guess that's close to what I asked the
FCC District Director to permit but didn't take the final step of saying
that we'd also transmit the decryption keys during exercises, just that
we'd make them available. I'll have to think about that.

I do have to differ with you a bit on the point of helping to shore up
the professional services infrastructure and funding. Most of our served
agencies are pretty particular about their systems and I'm not at all
comfortable putting myself into that mix, even though I'm comfortable
technically. We do, however, have Hams in our group who are commercial
communications people who serve those agencies, so in a way I guess
we're partly there.

As for funding, we're not finding that so difficult. We took the time to
become a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation. Our success with the
professional services and the support we get from them has helped us
secure some good donations. We're also working on some grant
opportunities that look promising. In addition, we've had good equipment
donations, and some of those have come from the emergency managers
themselves. None of that happens without work and certainly none of that
happens without having a successful organization, but it can happen.

Yes, we've tried very hard not to be just "... a bunch of older guys who
have all the best intentions." You're correct that intentions are only
that, intentions, and there's considerable effort from there to
performance. I guess I have more confidence than you that Hams, with
even somewhat marginal resources, can provide very useful services in
disasters. It's not easy, and it's not obvious, but if you consider what
can be done, what should be done, and that nobody else is going to do
it, disaster communications seems right for us Hams.

Chuck - N8DNX