Hi Charlie,

"We also see this time and time again even
in simulations where the professional emergency services have trouble
with their communications, their systems become overloaded, and there's
things that need to be communicated that aren't central to their
important tasks."

agree, but I guess I figure that in these situations it's better to try
to help those professional organizations shore up their own
infrastructure rather than having ham radio try to provide all the
backup if at all possible.  This is particularly important in that
public service agencies typically have access to far more potential
funding sources and far more flexibility in how they use radio
communications than hams do.

"We know we can apply public-key
cryptography in a disaster and won't hesitate to do so if it's a matter
of life or property, but it would be best to practice exactly that and
to formalize the procedures to be better prepared and avoid squabbles
after the fact. We can probably still do that without sending actual
encrypted transmissions, but that leaves open the possibility that we're
practicing a flawed procedure."

Actually
I think you can practice public-key encryption all day long if you make
the private key and encryption algorithm well-known -- since
"encryption" where the key is known isn't encryption at all, now, is
it?  At that point it's just a form of digital communication, and since
you're made the private key and method public, anyone who cares to can
decode the messages, and you're clearly not trying to obfuscate the
meaning of those messages either as you're just testing your
communications infrastructure.  In other words... transmit the private
key in the clear.  Next transmit an encrypted block.  Announce again
that what you just sent was encrypted with a key, and announce that key
again.  Repeat as necessary until you're comfortable with your formal
procedures. :-)

"As for overlap with the public safety services communications
capabilities, I think that's exactly what we're working to achieve--and
then some."

Yeah,
and while I applaud your efforts, I really do think they're a bit
misguided too.  Some of this is undoubtedly from my own experience with
ARES -- it's filled with a bunch of older guys who have all the best
intentions, but realistically the vast majority of them are "appliance
operators" and only a few have enough technical know-how to be able to,
e.g., reconfigure radio programming on the fly, set up ad-hoc TCP/IP
networking, etc.  The problem then is that -- generally speaking -- a
served agency doesn't really need the "appliance operators" as they
have plenty of their own... ;-)  While having a half-dozen guys who can
take down notes and then relay them over a repeater to the outside
world is valuable, these days it's no more technically difficult to get
a 128kbps D*Star or (some Mbps) WiFi connection going from a command
site to a repeater and provide an entire staff with full Internet
access.  (I've given a similar example before... if you're
in a
diaster area, and you can either provide people with a WiFi link and a
handful of computers to let people access e-mail, etc. -- however
slowly -- vs. having a bunch of guys at a table who'll take messages
and relay them to a specified phone number or e-mail address, the vast
majority of younger people are going to prefer the "just give me my own
Internet access" option.)

"It's a struggle simply to keep them trained and familiar with common
communications tasks."

ARES, in my experience, has the same problem.

"It's also a given that there just isn't enough money to build
a fully fault-tolerant communications system that has adequate overflow
capability to cope with any disaster anywhere it might occur."

Sure,
but if you're going to provide *some* degree of backup, the PSAs
generally have more money to throw at the problem than hams do.

"My overriding
consideration for preparation is that I never want to be in the position
of disappointing our professional emergency management when they turn to
us for help. If our local E.M. tells me that I need to help them with
communications for transport and distribution of critical medications
and leaking the details of that to the general public would jeopardize
those operations, I don't want to fail him."

You're not failing anyone if you're informing that that you're unwilling to
break the law to comply with their request.

"If, for whatever reason this
happens (perhaps all professional emergency communications is already
overloaded in support of riot control during a pandemic and the National
Guard is stretched thin) who else is going to fill this need. Why not
the Hams. I just want to be prepared."

Well,
take my suggestions... practice sending "encrypted" messages where
you've included the private key immediately before and after each
transmission, so you're operating within the current rules, and then if
there is a diaster, tell your served agency that if absolutely
necessary, you can send encrypted traffic, although there is some
question of the legality that might have to be settled later on.  At
worst you're risking your ham radio license, but if we're talking life
and death situations anyway, does that really matter so much?

---Joel