On Jan 30, 2009, at 8:00 PM, genedathe wrote:

> How many of you repeater owners have an active 1.2 DV repeater on the
> air? Do you see any actual use?

Light use on W0CDS-A, but a few users.  The economic down-turn has
certainly curtailed my interest in buying an ID-1 for the moment, for
example... and I'm one of the techs on the system.
> I'm curious about this because, IMHO, 1.2 DV has very little to offer.
> 1.2 is strictly line of sight, and one really needs a high gain
> antenna and expensive feedline for reliable work. Why operate on a
> band where losses are so high, when 2M will triple the range with a
> far less expensive radio?

I think you're generally right for LOW altitude sites.  Our site here
in Colorado is blessed with roughly 5000' HAAT, and with 3/4" hardline
feeding a directional panel antenna (we combined the DV and DD systems
using TX-RX products) pointed at the "center" of Denver, mobile users
are finding the 1.2 works fine.  DD is also very interesting.  Mobile,
it gets too much multi-path and pings fail while in motion, but they
resume at every stop light and fixed locations work fine.
> Please note, 1.2 DD is a different animal. In Minneapolis/St Paul,
> you can set up your ID-1 anywhere around the metro and repeat that
> 128kbps data stream all over--They got the WOW factor going on with
> that network!

Most of us in data networking see a 128Kb/s half-duplex network as
quite a long ways from "wow" these days.  Tethering to my cell phone
is faster on both CDMA and GSM networks now, and my house has a burst
speed of 16Mb/s down, and 2Mb/s up... so, 128 Kb/s is ultra-limited in
my thinking.  But as a ham interested in having "alternative
networks", it's cool.

$2000 a pop for the modules is a bit much, at first glance, but
amortized over a ten year lifespan, it's only $200 a year to have some
fun, though... so not really that bad.  Hams are spoiled with using
cast-off commercial gear for our repeaters, and think D-STAR is
"expensive" when it adds a LOT of functionality for very little
additional cost on VHF/UHF.  1.2 GHz definitely has a higher financial
barrier to entry for the average ham, though.

Expecting D-STAR to be the "hot" thing beyond ten years, probably
isn't wise though -- hopefully there are other digital voice and data
alternatives by then.

Nate WY0X