From: genedathe <geneda...@yahoo.com>
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 9:00:05 PM
Subject: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] Re: ICOM announced new hand-held and mobile D-STAR
transceivers, ID-80 and ID-880

How many of you repeater owners have an active 1.2 DV repeater on the
air?  Do you see any actual use?

I'm curious about this because, IMHO, 1.2 DV has very little to offer.
1.2 is strictly line of sight, and one really needs a high gain
antenna and expensive feedline for reliable work.  Why operate on a
band where losses are so high, when 2M will triple the range with a
far less expensive radio?

Please note, 1.2 DD is a different animal.  In Minneapolis/St Paul,
you can set up your ID-1 anywhere around the metro and repeat that
128kbps data stream all over--They got the WOW factor going on with
that network!

73 de NAØG  Gene