From: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:dstar_digi...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of genedathe
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 10:00 PM
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Subject: {Disarmed} [DSTAR_DIGITAL] Re: ICOM announced new hand-held and
mobile D-STAR transceivers, ID-80 and ID-880

How many of you repeater owners have an active 1.2 DV repeater on the
air? Do you see any actual use?

I'm curious about this because, IMHO, 1.2 DV has very little to offer.
1.2 is strictly line of sight, and one really needs a high gain antenna
and expensive feedline for reliable work. Why operate on a band where
losses are so high, when 2M will triple the range with a far less
expensive radio?

Please note, 1.2 DD is a different animal. In Minneapolis/St Paul, you
can set up your ID-1 anywhere around the metro and repeat that 128kbps
data stream all over--They got the WOW factor going on with that
network!

73 de NAØG Gene