On two meters and 440, we have programs in use called D-Chat and
D-Rats that send data back and forth between users, either simplex or
through a repeater connected to the gateway.  There is no high speed
data capability on two meters and 440 because high speed requires more
bandwidth than we have available on those bands.  D-Chat has been used
in emergency tests and drills and can provide hard copy to back up
voice communications.

The ID-1 (1200 mHz D-Star radio)) is capable of 128k as there is
bandwidth available on 1.2 gHz for the speed.  Increased bandwidth
means less range and to this point switching times have prevented
using the ID-1 with amplifiers in the DD (digital data) mode, so range
may be limited.  It would require about 200 watts on DD to equal a ten
watt DV signal.   The ID-1 is capable of connecting to the internet
for email and web surfing, although that is limited by regulations and
would not be what you might consider high speed in computer world terms.

D-Star radios can all forward D-PRS data to the D-PRS server which is
posted to the net on sites like www.findu.com .  Some radios can be
purchased with optional GPS, and all can be connected with outboard GPS.

So if I understand your questions, yes D-Star can allow text messages
between stations, exchange of short files, and GPS tracking of units
in the field while still allowing for voice communications-- all using
the slow speed data capability available on 2 meters and 440.

Ernie
W6KAP