Steve,

Three Questions:
------------------
Question 1:

Sinc you actually contacted Kay, I'm going to ask how you did it.  I tried but
clearly something was wrong on my end. ;-)  Here is what I did.

1) I configured my phone as follows:
UR: /JP1YJVA
R1: WA7FW B
R2: WA7FW G
MY: KC7VE /Mike

2) I then set my Xmit Message to (just to give them the Gateway in a message):

/WA7FW G

3) Then I just keyed the mic and announced:
"JI1BQW, this is KC7VE on WA7FW Gateway"

Should that be all that is required to make contact with Kay, assuming she was
online?  If it is, why might this not have worked. The repeater, on my end was
working, just before I tried this.  I had a contact with someone local on it.

-----------------
Question 2:

On a second note, this process above (minus any mistakes I made) seems to be
for initiating a contact, or CQ, to a distant repeater.  However, what if
someone wanted to just listen to what is going on, on that (or other) distant
repeater (i.e. JP1YJVA), without making a call.  How could that be done?  Is
there a way to listen to other locations, by entering codes similar to IRLP?
Process?

Question 3:

Finally, what is the best source of reading, to get up to speed (so-to-speak)
on D-Star?  I'd like to do a bit more reading, so I don't have to ask so many
simple questions.

Thanks,
Mike