The 20 character message works very well and would be a good place to do
"Tactical" if you need more than 4 chars.  The issue for the callsign is
that in D-STAR the callsign field is more than identification, it is
part of the addressing scheme.  Whereas in APRS you often are just
reporting position and status, it is fundamental to D-STAR network
routing to have universally unique addresses (e.g. your legal callsign)
in the various callsign fields - it is global in nature.  If you are
*not connected* to the gateway network then it really doesn't matter.

--
John D. Hays
Amateur Radio Station K7VE <http://k7ve.org>