There's a little bit of reality that's being left out of this discussion that
definitely needs to be interjected.

When the conversation is using voice, there is absolutely no issues with the
tactical callsigns being used on voice. Actually D-STAR makes it much more
effective as you don't have to use voice to make the legal identification, you
can stay completely in the tactical callsign realm.

When sending data, remember that you usually have to program a callsign in the
software. This is because that the protocol level callsigns are not presented
to the software, the software has to create it's own identification. So, in the
software you can set a tactical call and again the radios themselves can stay
with the legal callsign and the application handles the tactical callsigns.

Now, if you use the space after the / or the short message field to hold a
tactical identification, then the information will be seen in most places where
the callsign is displayed, such as a radio or repeater log.

So I think that this is LOT less of an issue that we seem to be making it.

On a personal observation note, with many years of packets use and some D-STAR
use behind me, I find that if people have to switch fields such as the MYCALL
or ALIAS during either a practice or an actual event, they often don't

Ed WA4YIH