Pete AE5PL wrote:

> > D-STAR is not a trademark of ICOM America.
>
> Umm, yes it is in the US.  Actually, it is a trademark of Icom
> Incorporated, not Icom America.
> http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4001:80rd3f.2.1
> I believe, specifically, this is in reference to their D-STAR logo
> but nonetheless...

Thanks - I stand partially corrected.  That USPTO link expired ...
here is the info from a query done 2047Z on 3 Oct 2009:

>> Word Mark                    D-STAR
>> Goods and Services   Communication equipment namely repeaters
>>                              and transceivers for amateur radio
communications
>> Mark Drawing Code    (1) TYPED DRAWING
>> Serial Number                76535996
>> Filing Date          July 30, 2003
>> Registration Number  2866400
>> Registration Date    July 27, 2004
>> Owner                        (REGISTRANT) ICOM INCORPORATED CORPORATION
JAPAN 1-6-19,
>>                              Kamikurazukuri, Hirano-ku Osaka-shi, Osaka
JAPAN

I will have to search back through some emails - but I believe we
had this question come up on one of the DSTAR lists in the past
and it was noted that the JARL held the D-STAR name.

I would expect that this US trade mark office registration
is for the logo ... as if another manufacturer were to
create a "D-STAR" compatible piece of equipment ...
if the name D-STAR was owned by ICOM they'd have to give
attribution to ICOM - and possibly other consideration as well?

Bob W1QA