The simple answer is "timing".  Sometimes someone keys up before
all this stuff happens.

All this "notification stuff" takes time. Time for the controller
to stream it all up to the GW over the serial port, time for the
GW to process, look up "CQCQCQ" and realize that callsign isn't
registered and doesn't exist, time for the GW to send a message
back down the serial port to the Controller, time for the
Controller to trigger a PTT and wait a pre-determined time for
the RF portion of the repeater's TX to come up to full power, and
then the transmission.

None of these times are very large, probably measured in hundreds
of milliseconds, but in a real-time 2-way comm system, if another
transmission or "something else" happens during all of the above,
the question of "what wins?" is something only an Icom firmware
Engineer could answer, and even then, probably only with a timing
diagram and a huge whiteboard.  (GRIN!)

>From my experience, usually live transmissions get priority over
the little text/data packets used for "confirmation" back to the
user radios, but I've heard them "crash" into each other and the
very beginning of a transmission and one or the other gets
mangled, in otherwise perfect RF conditions, too.  There's some
minor bugs in that Controller...

They apparently never load-tested it with tests similar to "bulk
call" tests commonly done in telco switching systems where we're
looking for "glare" and other issues in the communications
protocols and overall software/firmware design.  That or the
budget and time to fix every last little timing glitch, was
low... another common hurdle for companies building what, in this
case, is virtually a "boutique" product in the RF world.

Amateur Radio probably accounts for very little of Icom's total
sales. 2m and up, even less. D-STAR, less but probably was a
"growing" division compared to FM prior to the economic collapse.
--
  Nate Duehr
  n...@natetech.com

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 10:35 -0400, "Fran Miele"
<f...@miele-family.com> wrote:

I think I understand some of this. In our situation we are using
DPLUS
routing from our repeater to Ref010 along with several other
repeaters. Why
would we not get any beeps yet everyone heard the transmission?
Thanks,
Fran, W1FJM