My reading of the protocol specification is that the header has a checksum (2.1.1 (11) page 4 - http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/techchar/D-STAR.pdf) for error detection, but forward error correction (FEC) only applies to the "audio" portion of the AMBE payload (and performed by the AMBE chip).

On Oct 16, 2009, at 2:09 PM, Tony Langdon wrote:

At 07:20 AM 10/17/2009, you wrote:

>That is not what I read in previous discussions by folks who were
>actually doing protocol-level work, but if you insist that the
>headers are encapsulated inside the portion of the stream that's
>covered by FEC, I can't really refute it technically.

My understanding is that the voice uses the FEC built into the AMBE
vocoder, which the headers don't have access to.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

John D. Hays
Amateur Radio Station K7VE