From: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dstar_digi...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Nate Duehr
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:38 PM
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] Beeps

p.s. Hey, I took something else for granted in my reply Fran, and realized I
should mention it more clearly...

The above is ALL dependent on PERFECT RF CONDITIONS and ZERO BIT LOSS.  With
only the voice portion of the D-STAR stream Forward Error Corrected, and
never the callsigns, all it takes is a single blip of noise in the received
signal to trash the callsign header and/or fail the CRC check on the frame.

Setting aside that the "beep" is a function of the radio, but it's too hard
to type "watch for the little data/info packet", we'll shorten that to
"beep" for this discussion still, since that's what you really see on any
rig in default settings...

If you're not always getting the double-beep, monitor with more than one
radio (sometimes it happens too fast for the turn-around time in YOUR rig,
but other folks can hear it) or call someone on the phone and listen to
theirs after you un-key.

Also watch the dplus.log and other logs on the GW to see if EVERY
transmission you're hearing or not hearing double-beeps on is REALLY being
100% copied by the GW server.

It doesn't take much to trash the callsign headers in a D-STAR transmission.
The GW implements a strange, but somehow amazingly workable "I'll just use
the last known good callsign header if I don't get one for this
transmission" principal that is counter-intuitive if you're playing with
callsign routing and one of the stations is weak into the repeater.  They'll
seem to work sometimes, other times they won't, but they're "riding on the
coat-tails" of the strong signal station if both are callsign routing to the
same place.

The ubiquitous use of "CQCQCQ" all the time in D-Plus links has an advantage
here.  Every transmission is "going to the same place", so to speak, and
people who would be too noisy to use the repeater properly, are still routed
to "CQCQCQ".

You can see this "problem" in action by having a strong signal station
COMMAND the D-Plus link up, then have the weak station key up. You'll get
the announcement "REMOTE SYSTEM LINKED" *twice*, even though the second
station was sending "CQCQCQ" and not a Reflector command. If you look in the
logs, you'll see that the system NEVER COPIED the callsign header from
station #2, it just ASSUMED that it was a continued transmission from
Station #1.

Obviously this "feature" was added to handle mobile flutter and drop-outs...
when you come back into coverage after driving down into a "hole", you would
prefer to have the second-half of your transmission routed to the far end.
The only way to do this in D-STAR was to "pick up where you left off" even
if the system had no callsign header to utilize.

Other digital systems have done this in a MUCH more intelligent way.  Just
as an example, P25 continuously sends the equivalent of the "header packet"
as a very low speed interlaced series of bits in the ENTIRE transmission.
This allows the repeater to actually SEE that the transmission that "just
popped back up from down in the hole" in that mobile rig, is a proper system
user ID, etc... and not have to assume/guess, like the D-STAR Gateway has
to.

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of how the D-STAR protocol itself is
designed, and a lack of foresight many many years ago by the Icom engineers
about noisy signals... so I doubt it'll ever be "fixed" in D-STAR.  It'll
just be a "fact of life" that noisy users can "tailgate" on non-noisy ones,
and most of the time, get away with it... even though if you look at their
data/callsign routing headers in the logs, they're completely trashed and/or
never pass even a CRC check.

Any "fix" for this would have to be implemented as a backward-compatible
change to the D-STAR protocol, driven through the standards body, and put
into future radios, without adversely affecting current rigs.  A non-trivial
task unless some of the "Reserved" bits were used... and some already are
for un-documented features from Icom... or so I hear...

--
  Nate Duehr, WY0X
  n...@natetech.com