From: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dstar_digi...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of larryhayter
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2009 7:32 AM
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] Re:callsign routing

A few questions....
I've used Callsign Routing as well as most of the other methods available on
the system. All have been both successful and at other times not so much.
Here are the questions as well as my thoughts to date which are subject to
correction.
1. If the repeater I am using is connected to a reflector is Callsign Routing
processed or does it fail because of the active link.
Probably not accepted or processed?

It works just as if the repeater wasn't linked. This can get confusing if you
(A) are having a callsign routed conversation to B while the repeater is linked
to a reflector, then only you (and the people on your system) hear B. So, no
one else on the reflector hears B. They all assume that you are talking to
yourself.

2. If the system attempts to forward the call to a destination repeater that
may be in use or linked within the system what is the result.
Probably not processed at the far end?

It works as if the repeater wasn't linked.

3. In each of these cases is there any indication on my side as to whether my
attempt to call my party was properly processed or failed. I may be missing
something there.
??

There is an indication on the radio if the call sign route fails for some
reason. But in case 1 or 2, the call didn't fail. The only way that it can fail
is if the call sign that you are routing to doesn't exist, or the repeater that
you are talking to is currently transmitting.

4. If the answer to question 1. is that I cannot route by callsign while the
repeater is linked, is it proper to disconnect the link considering that I may
not have the privledge to re-establish it even if I know where it was
previously linked.
I've not attempted to disconnect in order not to bother other users or
listeners....

Check with your local administrator for recommendations. Not all systems follow
the same guidelines. On an "Open Repeater" the common courtesy would be to ask
if anyone is using the link first. Then drop it if no one responds and then
make your call. If the system administrator indicates that you should relink a
repeater afterwards, the do so.

I do enjoy the whole system congratulate everyone on there work and successes
to date. I really enjoy watching the progress the system has seen over the last
year.

Larry
VE3LGH