From: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dstar_digi...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Dave Cooley
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:22 AM
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] Re:callsign routing

Fran,

The easy answer would be just link the repeaters. This works if:
1. You know where the other party is (and)
2. Either your repeater or the distant end repeater is not linked (you
can't link into a repeater already linked)

You can however callsign route into a linked repeater!

So, given that many active repeater sysops are linking their systems to
reflectors to generate some traffic, chances of linking drop
dramticaly. Knowing how and when to use callsign routing is important.

I was forced to use callsign routing at first as none of the local
Sysops allowed end user linking so I had no other choice. After using it
for a while and understanding it I still prefer it to linking for short,
peer to peer, messages. Linking, however is best if you are
participating on a net or round table rag chew.

As you know the information you place in the ur call field is what is
sent to the gateway as your intended destination, (in this case N1GAT).
The radio has no idea where his last transmission was heard. The gateway
makes the decision where to route the call based upon information the it
receives from the US Trust Server in Dallas Tx. This update is designed
to happen approximately every 15 mins. You can check here to see when a
gateway was last updated http://dsync.
<http://dsync.dstarusers.org/index.php> dstarusers.org/index.php . Click
on the specific gateway and you can see when it last updated to the
trust server. Depending upon when you switch to a new repeater it could
take up to 29 mins (theoretically) for the update to be sent to the
trust serve and then proliferated to the rest of the gateways.
The gateway looks in the file it receives from the trust server and
finds where N1GAT was last heard and addresses the packets to that
gateway and port. To see the last heard position look
here http://www.jfindu. <http://www.jfindu.net/PrefixLookup.aspx>
net/PrefixLookup.aspx
<http://www.jfindu. <http://www.jfindu.net/PrefixLookup.aspx>
net/PrefixLookup.aspx> (Special note: This info may
not be the same as that on the trust server as this page is "Real Time"
Thus the lag of up to 29 mins.)
At this point it becomes just another IP packet on the internet. To
check and see if you and where your transmission went go to
http://nj6n. <http://nj6n.com/dplusmon/> com/dplusmon/ this lists all
transmissions (domestic) that
go through a gateway.

If a repeater is linked to a reflector it is using a portion of its
available internet bandwidth to send a "copy" of all repeater
transmissions to the reflector. (Thus the reason why linking is better
for nets and round table rag chews) If you call sign route to a party
that is on a linked repeater you are also using that available
bandwidth. Some sys ops have robust commercial internet connections that
can handle multiple connections such as this but the majority use a form
of residential internet service such as DSL or cable and do not have
sufficient bandwidth to accommodate much traffic. As a general rule it
is best to go to your stand alone repeater as you mentioned for a QSO.
The other drawback to using call sign routing into a linked repeater is
that while everyone can hear you on the other end, you can only hear the
person that has captured your call and put it in their ur call field.
You would be able to hear them only if they put your call sign in their
UR call field.

Contrary to what some will tell you, call sign routing works well for
what it was intended. Once you use it and understand how it works it is
a much easier way to use Dstar for a single party QSO. It also is the
only way to track down a distant party if you don't have the internet at
your fingertips. We use call sign routing in conjunction with DRats and
it works great. The downside to call sign routing is that folks get
confused when they hear a QSO in progress and try to join in and are not
heard by the distant party. If this happens they only need to capture
the call of the distant station using the call capture feature and then
they will be heard. Again this is only good for several users on one
repeater talking to just one user on the distant repeater. Linking is
the best solution for multiple to multiple QSOs.

Tech point: The 2820 and 91&92ad can be set to auto populate the ur
field when it receives a call sign routed call. This works great when
you get a call sign routed call it automatically puts the callers call
sign into the ur field and sends it right back to them. This only
happens when your radio sees a call sign routed call to you. It will not
switch call signs to whatever station it hears ( as some have been lead
to believe)
The 800 (not sure on the new ones) are not capable of this automatic
feature although it says you can in the manual.

I hope this helps.
I can be contacted anytime ( when I am on the air) using callsign
routing. All of my radios are set for autofill so I will just come
right back to you.

73

--
Dave Cooley