On Nov 4, 2009, at 3:53, Robbie De Lise wrote:

> Why not couple Winlink to dstar and write or re-use a client of theirs for
> D-Star usage ?

because their code only works on windows, and a lot of us don't use windows.

> I don't think you can do a lot of DV stuff at the repeater, so the 'gateway'
> to winlink still needs to be at someone's home.

I just got some hardware donated to start working on a D-RATS to winlink
interface.  we're doing d-rats locally for our ARES group, but my state ARES
chose winlink recently, and we need to make them work together.  I don't have a
lot of spare time right now, but when I get some basics working I'll be asking
for people to test/help/etc. (and if anyone else has already done this, I have
no desire to re-invent the wheel -- please contact me!).

my chances of making two packages that talk email talk to each other is much
higher than the chances of me making a nice user GUI interface for winlink on
Mac/linux. Most of the local ARES members had more success getting D-RATS
working than simple packet, or APRS.  Most of that had to do with the
plug-and-play part of the DV radio interface though, so if someone did write
winlink for DV, that might work for us too.

> 73s
> robbie
> on4sax

-----