From: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dstar_digi...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of bosshardss
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:13 AM
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] State of the DSTAR Union

I wonder if we just look at DSTAR without Icom's Gateway system or Robin's
DPLUS additive, what we would really have.

1 - Very Narrow Bandwidth in terms of spectrum use.

2 - All Digital - not FM with all the variations in quality or lack thereof.

3 - Simultaneous slow text with voice - including built in position reporting
overhead.

4 - Advanced features - Individual calling, Group Calling, Call Sign capture,
Breakthrough and Emergency Calling (not sure if these are part of the JARL
spec).

5 - Reasonably decent performance for AMATEUR radio with product readily
available to hams (not hacked or converted commercial radio products).

My thoughts are that there will be a flash prom upgradable radio (maybe along
the lines of SDR) with some backwards compatibility.

A streamlined or more intuitive user interface is essential and with new
features and flash upgrades the present network will have to change with the
times as well.

In terms of an amateur grade product, the DSTAR radios are OK. Not great but
not all that bad. (Not comparing ham radio to commercial stuff costing 5X more
$$$$$).

Instead of doctoring the present system I believe an eye to the future will be
the better course. A Next Generation DSTAR System.

Time will tell.

Best to all in 2010, The Future is Bright, and the Union is Sound.

steve nu5d

(Strictly my opinions - your mileage may vary - and with 42 cents US you can
get coffee).