On Jan 6, 2010, at 6:13 AM, bosshardss wrote:

I wonder if we just look at DSTAR without Icom's Gateway system or Robin's DPLUS additive, what we would really have.

3 - ... built in position reporting overhead.

4 - Advanced features - Individual calling, Group Calling, Call Sign capture, Breakthrough and Emergency Calling (not sure if these are part of the JARL spec).

I believe these items are Icom enhancements (The UR callsign is designed into the spec, but I think the callsign squelch is Icom's enhancement).

Instead of doctoring the present system I believe an eye to the future will be the better course. A Next Generation DSTAR System.

Some of us are looking at this in the background. The air protocol is fine, though the semantics might be improved and it should have included a repeating address. The radio "UI" is up to the manufacturers, but we can make major improvements to the "gateway" network.

John D. Hays
Amateur Radio Station K7VE
PO Box 1223
Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 VOIP/SIP: j...@hays.org