You've got to break the chicken and egg concepts. Not every person in your club
has to have a D-STAR radio. And few will buy one if there aren't any local
repeaters.

What I would recommend is thinking about making your club a leader in
technology, not a follower. It helps out membership and can reinvigorate clubs,
especially if excitement at the club meeting is when it adjourns. But the main
thing is that someone has to get out and champion D-STAR's use. From the movie,
If you don't build it, they don't know where to go.

I and a few others have championed D-STAR here in Georgia and the Southeast for
a few years. The first year was hard. There were all of the naysayers who
complained about everything, "it's not real radio", "it's not reliable", "its
proprietary", etc., etc. But you just have to keep chugging forward, showing
progression along the way.

At our local technology show (GARSFesT) this past weekend, I was quite
surprised at the conversations and responses that we were getting. The
anti-D-STAR forces were very small (essentially only the anti-everything folks)
and I got one comment from a gentleman that stated that he liked D-STAR,
because he could always find someone to talk to, unlike the local club FM
repeater to which no ever listens. That's a BIG change from 2 years ago.

D-STAR does a good job of interesting the technical and non-technical people.
The non-techies can find people to talk to, from local to the other side of the
earth. The techies have a lot to play with. D-STAR, unlike FM has significant
growth opportunities. There's still a LOT of development to do. And a lot of it
is coming from within the Amateur Community, not the manufacturers. DVDongle,
DV Access Point, Hotspots, non-Icom repeaters, D-RATS, there are MANY areas
that just aren't being addressed yet.

So ask your club if they want to be known as the leaders on Long Island, or
"just another club" The opportunity is there. Even if you buy the Icom gear, it
ain't that expensive.

Get invigorated!

Ed WA4YIH