On Jan 19, 2010, at 1:36 PM, ka2ugz wrote:

WOW what a response for the recent "new guy" post! Seems like an abundance of energy in this group.

I saw a presentation and demonstration of a D-Star hot-spot using a node adapter (Ham Radio University sponsored by GSBARC) and as a result I joined this group to learn more.

I am an officer in a Long Island club that operates 3 analog repeaters, two 70cm and one 2m. We have discussed turning one of them into a D-Star repeater but the significant investment is beyond the reach of our small club. I think the node adapter hot spot is well within our grasp though.

With the closest D-Star repeater on the Empire State Building in NYC there is not much D-Star activity here and I think the hot-spots will create opportunity.

So on to my first question:

I sent an email to Satoshi (7m3...@jk1zrw.ampr.org ) to buy an assembled node adapter which his website says is available (updated 12/23/2009). It has been about 10-days with no reply and no indication that the email was undeliverable. In the experience of this group, does it take Satoshi a long time to answer email?

I realize that this is probably not his "day job" and he might be overloaded with requests so please help set my expectation level… how patient do I need to be?

73 de KA2UGZ - Jay

There are other options if converting an existing repeater. See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcrepeatercontroller -- if you have good access to the discriminator and modulator on your repeater, a $2 sound fob, and a serial port or Velleman K8055, and a spare computer running Linux or Windows --- you can have a D- STAR repeater.

Simplex "hot spots" and DV-AR operations are good for isolated needs, such as around the house -- but they don't really provide the full D- STAR capability as they are children of D-PLUS linking (no callsign routing, etc.) and I hate seeing them supplanting real repeaters that provide 2-way local coverage as well as routing and linking.

Some of my experimentation
http://k7ve.org/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=26

John D. Hays
Amateur Radio Station K7VE