On Jan 20, 2010, at 2:14 PM, Catrina White wrote:

Another newbie question for all of you:

I wanted to perform an echo test, and was wondering if it is a universal thing such as: repeater name (space) E for instance: KI6JKA_E would perform an echo test to find out if I am making it into the system?

The other question I have, is it necessary when calling a specific station (I have an IC 91AD) and I have noticed in some cases there is a / before a call sign. is that what typically is supossed to be there? Or is that only specific cases? Wish there was a more user friendly manual which explains why the / is there or absent.
Thank you for answering my questions!
CAT
KG6PPA

Cat,

What you are dealing with is two different addressing schemes, overloaded on one another, and not well integrated.

Native D-STAR does not have any notion of "linking" -- it uses callsign routing.

There are two choices for the UR field in callsign routing (under the current design):

If you are calling an individual station, you put their callsign in the UR: field, so if you want to call your friend "K6XYZ" on repeater KI6JKA B, then you would set up as follows:

UR: K6XYZ
MY: KG6PPA
RPT1: KI6JKA B
RPT2: KI6JKA G

What will happen then, is the repeater KI6JKA B will repeat your signal from its controller to a computer with the gateway software (KI6JKA G). The gateway software will lookup the location of K6XYZ and relay your signal to the gateway attached to the repeater where K6XYZ was last heard. No link is established, your signal is just relayed over the Internet, transmission by transmission.

K6XYZ would swap the UR/MY above and put his local RPT1 and RPT2 in his radio and could likewise reply to you. (There is a button on the radio to do this automatically.)

The second case, is you just want to talk to anyone on a specific repeater. For example, if you just wanted to ask someone in Salt Lake City, UT how the skiing is today, you would put that repeater's callsign in the UR field, prefixed with a /. That repeater is KF6RAL B (70cm) or KF6RAL C (2m) or KF6RAL A (23cm). So you setup as follows:

UR: /KF6RALB
MY: KG6PPA
RPT1: KI6JKA B
RPT2: KI6JKA G

This tells the gateway to relay your signal specifically to the repeater KF6RAL B (the space gets pushed out because there are only 8 characters in the callsign field). This is just like the previous example, no link is created, only your signal is relayed and someone replying to you must either put your callsign in the UR field or put / KI6JKAB in the UR field (either will get the signal back out the repeater you called from).

The second system is based on "bolt on" software from AA4RC called DPLUS. It creates links based on psuedo-callsigns, these links relay everything heard on one repeater to the other and vice versa. Using KF6RAL as the example again. You initiate the link using:

UR: KF6RALBL
MY: KG6PPA
RPT1: KI6JKA B
RPT2: KI6JKA G

The B again is pushed left by the L (for "Link") because of the 8 character limit.

If a callsign is less than 7 characters your radio will put the spaces in for you. If it has a designator like "KF6RAL B", you must space fill to put the "B" in the 8th position. E.g, for me, you would put in K7VE P (for Portable), with 3 spaces between the E and P, but to call my main callsign you just put in "K7VE" --- anything you put into the 8 characters has meaning, so if you put in "K7VE !" (one space) that is not going to get to me, since the 1 makes the callsign unique.

Oh, yeah, when your are done with the link, set the UR to something with "U" (for unlink) in the 8th position, like UR: " U"

Hope this helps.

John D. Hays
Amateur Radio Station K7VE
PO Box 1223