Why do things change? In this case it is because call sign routing leaves a LOT
to be desired. With the out of the box Icom software, callsign routing is the
only thing that you can do. You can't have a net with more than 2 repeaters
(multicast somewhat brought the number up higher, but no where near out
capacities today)

The Last Heard list was probably the first big thing developed. That's non-Icom
software that shows you who is on at www.DSTARUsers.org . This is also combined
with the APRS type position reporting.

Robin (AA4RC) came along and created  DPLUS. It first allowed repeaters to link
to each other. When linked, what you hear on one is heard on the other. (as
opposed to call sign routing where each station had to program their radio to
be heard on the "other" repeater). The first DPLUS had the Echo test function
and a few others. Robin then created the reflector software that allows many
repeaters to connect together at once.
I believe that most D-STAR users will agree that having linking and reflectors
has allowed D-STAR to progress well beyond where simple call sign routing would
have carried us.

My recommendation (which is severely debated here by others, but it is my
opinion). Forget about learning call sign routing, just don't worry about it.
Learn how to link and unlink a repeater from another repeater or module and sit
back and feel good about what you've learned.  If you want to talk to the Japan
stations you will need calls sign routing, as they are still on old software
without DPLUS.

Ed WA4YIH