On Jan 22, 2010, at 3:28 PM, Nate Duehr wrote:

On 1/22/2010 4:03 PM, Neil wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice if say, a group of people around the country (or world even), could put a special call in the UR field and everyone in that group would have their traffic automatically routed to all the other members, bit like a multicast I suppose, but not much fun if the local repeater was already in use. (That's where G3 'could' come in handy, sending a message instead to the members radio on that repeater, underneath the QSO without hindering the other users...then you could switch to another repeater/node and continue.)

I suppose you could subscribe to a 'multicast group', something like a reflector that handles instantaneous multiple connections.

Food for thought...

73 de Neil G7EBY

The commercial digital world calls this "talk groups" and has had it for at least a decade.

An Amateur talk group system would need to come up with a way to "self-register" with a particular talk group.

Could be done.  Interesting concept.

Nate WY0X

Once we have an open source gateway, its pretty easy. My understanding is that the RP2C sends any transmission with something in RPT2 to the gateway (doesn't have to just be "call G" --- there are a couple of syntax that could be used.

UR: TG00000R  (Register)
MY: K7VE
RPT1: NW7DR (Module number isn't required by the protocol, but may be required for RP2C)
RPT2: GATEWAY

With UR:TG00000U (UnRegister)

The gateway would have a list of active talkgroups and register itself to the talkgroup server (like a reflector) for two way transmission relay -- no need for a "link"

Another syntax:

UR: xxxxxxxx  (usually CQCQCQ  or -------U to Unregister)
MY: K7VE
RPT1: NW7DR
RPT2: TG00000 (Gateway will register for talkgroup if not already registered, keep a list of local callsigns in the group and unregister when the last sends the unregister or times out)

Arbitration of multiple talk groups on a single repeater frequency is the main downside.

John D. Hays
Amateur Radio Station K7VE
PO Box 1223
Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 VOIP/SIP: j...@hays.org