Let's talk apples to apples here. EVERY D-STAR radio will do APRS, just like
EVERY FM radio will do APRS. All you need to do is to hook a TNC or Tracker up
to it.

What becomes the details is that some FM radios are setup to automatically
switch frequencies when they get a transmission request from a connected TNC. I
don't believe that any D-STAR radio (except maybe the IC-2820) will do this.

And if you want to dedicate a D-STAR radio to doing just APRS, that works quite
well, although there are definitely cheaper ways to do it.

Again, ALL D-STAR radios will do APRS.

And you are indeed somewhat correct that D-STAR doesn't do APRS like APRS does.
With D-STAR DPRS, we don't have to dedicated repeaters or radios to provide
position reports.  We can do that on our normal repeaters. And when we're
talking about beaconing, I believe that most people would agree with me in that
beaconing at an interval of less than an hour can be irritating (if there's 6
people beaconing every hour, that's 1 beacon every 5 minutes). But beaconing
once every 12 hours probably isn't a real irritation to most repeater users.
So DPRS isn't that great for watching every mile that a vehicle travels, but
when the family wants to know what part of the country you are in, it does do a
respectable job.

Ed WA4YIH