On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 23:12 +0000, Woodrick, Ed wrote:

> And indeed, back to my initial statement. It’s pretty obvious how hard
> it is to reach any consensus and how many different opinions that
> exist.

It is much better having a community effort behind Open D-Star than just
allowing one person or one corporation doing it.  Already some great
ideas have been passed around.

When programming or creating something if one person makes all the
decisions you may end up with some bad solutions.  It is not that
persons fault.  When a team comes together and discusses ideas there may
be reasons that design X created by person A has flaws that person A was
not able to realize until told by the others.  Eventually what happens
is that the cream will rise and all the poor ideas never get
implemented.

There are those that think they are the only ones that know the right
way and then there are those that know with a great team they'll be able
to go the right way.  It may be a little bit more work but I would
always chose a team of programmers over one guy in a cubicle.  The team
can learn from each others past mistakes and create something nice.

I've been a lone programmer for the company that I started for 10 years
now.  I've hired consultants to take some of the work load off of me
while I did more people related activities like work shows, pre-sales
support, and training.  Now I have about 3 consultants that work for me
and assist on projects I don't have time for.  One, N0JCF, is working on
VoIP and TCP/IP projects with me.  We bounce ideas off each other and
usually come up with some better solutions. I prefer working with others
vs working alone because if I have a stupid idea then a team mate will
point it out and show me possible alternatives.  It works both ways.
When you are alone all your ideas are great ideas.  There are roads I've
taken in code that have cost me time that I wish I would have never went
down.  Having help prevents that.

> Take a look at the more popular Amateur Radio programs, how many of
> them are Open Source?

fldigi is a good one and it is open source.  The only closed amateur
radio programs I use on my PC are related to D-Star.  The ID-880 and
91AD programming software and DVTool.  I believe D-Rats is open by
design (Plain text Python) but I'm not sure about the license. I 'm not
counting the obvious HRD because in my world HRD does not even exist.