Bob,

Yes, you are right. Many people have found that the D-Star
systems need more isolation than a similar FM system especially
the UHF units. There has been much discussion about that. I was
only trying to add that the pass/reject type filters do offer far
more protection from things outside of your pass filter.

We had an instance with a Broadcast FM radio station on one
of the towers killing a 220 MHz machine. One of the first things
we did is switched to pass/reject and that knocked out alot of
it. Their harmonic was at roughly 211MHz but they were so
strong it just made everything deaf. To finish getting rid of
the radio station we cut an open stub at a 1/4 wave of the
radio station frequency and put a T in the feedline with the
stub hanging down. That "dangler" had such high voltage at
the end of it, that I sustained a small RF burn when the end
of the coax was up against my arm... yes it got covered very
quickly after that.

On the other hand, what I am actually using on D-Star is a
combiner/multicoupler setup. Seperate antenna's with alot
of isolation. On the UHF RX though the bandpass of the
multicoupler was too narrow, so we used two tuned lines
and a T so that one goes to the multicoupler and one goes
to a 10 pole DCI filter (I think it's 10 pole) followed by
a pre-amp and then pass cans for the indicidual receivers.
So, I am with you on this one, as we actually do something
very similar.

Bob is definately correct that the typical 4 can setup used
on the average FM repeater will cause you nothing but
headaches, and that includes the ultra nice TX/RX stuff.
You either have to go with a 6 can setup using pass/reject
or like Bob said, throw an DCI filter between the
duplexer and receiver. This is also true of the VHF as well.
We fought with this problem for a couple of weeks before we
went on the multiplexer with about 40' between the antennas.

Bottom line I think for this thread, is repeaters are fussy when
it comes to a good feedline and antenna system, and D-Star
is even fussier.

Dan Thompson
d...@waycom.com

It will save you alot of headaches.