At 03:57 AM 5/18/2010, Woodrick, Ed wrote:

>And while you indicate that the G2 and DPlus protocols aren't open
>source, they definitely have been reversed engineered and we have
>third party solutions talking to them now.

This also has precedent.  The exact same thing happened with
Echolink, where alternative clients exist only because the protocol
was reverse engineered.

>But the main part with experimentation is that the D-STAR network is
>a collection of systems that interoperate with each other. If
>someone gets on and starts experimenting against the live network,
>this can have DRAMATIC impact to the network's operation. You don't
>necessarily only impact your own small part of the world.

That's just an argument for test networks, so serious experimentation
can take place without taking the rest of the world off air due to
buggy code or wrong assumptions. :)

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com