Nate and any others that are interested
Icom/Kenwood and others use NXDN (4 Level FSK/FDMA 6.25 kHz Technology)
see www.nxdn-forum.org. It is a relatively open digital standard for commercial
equipment for its Over the Air (OTA) communcation protocol.

I believe that an amaueur application would be welcomed that did a translation
between NXDN and its unit ID and the DSTAR Callsign identification.

There are a certain group of amayeur radio operators who like to use commercial
equipment on the amateur bands (They have an M branded on the back of their
heads). I agree that sometimes, in certain situations such as intermod and
spurious emissions, that it would make sense to use commercial equipment.

Myself and one other radio amateur are looking into that possibility. Several
amateur groups are looking to replace their 25 year + Micors or MastrII
repeaters that are getting long in the tooth. The new Icom series FR5000 (VHF)
or FR6000 (UHF) commercial repeaters do both Analog and Digital on the same
frequency "on-the-fly", are small (2 rach units high) and you could have a VHF
and UHF repeater in the rame rack unit thereby freeing up to 2 racks worth of
equipment. (Think of how many computers you could install?)

The protocol is FDMA not TDMA and is similar in structure to P25 (but not
compatible)

Worth thinking about!

Eric Meth - ve3ei