> When keyed on high power and when the truck is off, voltage drops
> from 12V to 11.6V.

Did it transmit high power, without going down to mid-power, when the
truck was off (12V)? If it did, it is the voltage when the engine is
running.

My ID-80 HT has DC power protection which is activated with 14V and
above. When activated, it beeps and forces it down to mid-power.  I
suspect the same protection is in place in the 800.

73,
--
JI1BQW - Kay Ishikawa