A work around is not required. The ICOM ID-1 uses the same protocol for digital
data. A to Z and 0 to 9 are included so there 36 radios could be used with the
same base call. So far we have used K6RCR  1 to K6RCR 7 for mobiles and K6RCR A
for the repeater and K6RCR  S for our server. We also have 4 2820s in service
but have been using the operators call sign.

Mike, KD6GWO