On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 12:34:35AM -0700, a cutler22 wrote:
> It seems to be competitive in the current market, a third-party daughter
> board similar to UT-118 would have to be developed that had dual
> AMBE/Codec2 capability, and sold at-cost to undercut the current UT-118
> cost.  Assuming (warning - monster assumption!) the SMT design was donated
> by hams and it was sold at cost, and it had automatic codec detection and
> switching capability, it would be a competitive way to bring an open
> source codec to "DSTAR".

It's not that simple. You'd need to develop boards compatible with the
UT-118, and the UT-123 (for the IC-2820), and whatever's built into the
ID-800 and ID-880, and every other D-Star radio. Not a trivial undertaking.
Further, you'd have to update the firmware on every radio out there.

Don't get me wrong. Open source codecs are important. The time for updating
the codec in D-Star has passed, though.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC at K6ZC port B    http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.k6zc.org                  http://www.tronguy.net