> If Codec2 comes to fruition then I for one will probably support it in my
> D-Star repeater software, it'd be fun. Maybe no one will use it, but so what?
> It's a hobby.

You could support any codec, especially if you do not decode/re-encode and just
pass a bit stream, but seriously, who is going to build the radios?  Perhaps
this could just be a dv dongleless VOIP system akin to dv dongle to dv dongle
communications now (but without an RF presence).

The D-Star system of DVAR exists today solely because ICOM chose, for whatever
reason, to build digital amateur radios.  Their choice of codec is really
pretty secondary to the fact they chose to mass produce digital RF "terminals".
 Folks were experimenting with codecs long before ICOM moved, and folks, in
very small numbers, will continue to experiment long into the future, but until
someone produces RF terminals with a different codec (and an internet
backbone), this will continue to be solely chit-chat, like this interesting
discussion thread.

73--John