John,

D-STAR has a very specific standard for the on air digital voice signal. The signal rate must be 4800 bps (to achieve 6.25khz. bandwidth). Any variance from that rate and you have broken the standard and would be incompatible with D-STAR. The specification also requires the use of AMBE vocoder technology. The specification also requires the use of the 3600 bps encoding (2400 bps voice + 1200 bps forward error correction or FEC) and any other values would be incompatible even though the AMBE vocoder can be run at other rates and voice to FEC ratios. After you use 3600 bps for voice+FEC, there is an additional 1200 bps that is used for protocol addressing and various user defined data components (Icom has added some useful extensions in that space, GPS, Short Text, some protocol redundancy).

To move outside of these standards is certainly within the realm of amateur radio and amateur radio experimentation but D-STAR is very defined, by the JARL, as to what can be done. If one wants a higher fidelity voice signal, then one is free and encouraged to experiment, but it won't be D-STAR and won't be able to take advantage of the D- STAR infrastructure. Certainly the manufacturer of AMBE technology works to improve the encoding and decoding of voice and could possibly come up with new generations of chips to fit the D-STAR parameters, but they would have to be backward compatible for acceptance in the market.

The final sound of the AMBE signal after decoding is not an exact, high fidelity, reproduction of the original voice encoding, but for the sake of communicating intelligence it works very well (assuming the speaker is speaking intelligently :) ). Different people have different perspectives on that audio, for example, one local ham finds the AMBE processed voice easier to listen to due to his specific hearing ability.

There are some in the hobby that would go for FM broadcast quality fidelity, but it is terribly inefficient from a spectrum point of view. Higher encoding bit rates could provide higher fidelity, for example Sirius digital satellite radio uses AMBE as well, but again it would be at the sacrifice of bandwidth for what is a communications service that does not need the fidelity and musicality of an entertainment service.

AMBE is a registered trademark of Digital Voice Systems, Inc.
D-STAR is a trademark of the JARL (in Japan) and a registered trademark of Icom in the US and several other markets.