On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:02 PM, wessels <wessels...@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Kyle, thanks for looking into this.
>
> The clients are VMWare esx 4.0u1 machines so unmounting their
> datastores is a bit difficult since they are production machines.
>
> I fail to see the relation between the nfs client and the iopattern
> dtrace script for example. That script is supposed to opperate on the
> local filesystem right? So why doesn't it register any i/o's for a
> file being actively modified?

It depends where you run iopattern.

When run on the ZFS/NFS server, iopattern will trace back-end I/O to the
local disks.  This may not match ZFS/NFS very well at all, due to reads
being cached and writes being buffered and flushed later.  I'd use the nfs
provider if you want to see what is being requested.

When run on the NFS client, if the client is Solaris then iopattern will
match NFS client requests (which are matched by io:::done).  I don't think
Mac OS X matches NFS client I/O via the io provider yet.

All I want to monitor is the amount and size (as second step) of the
> i/o's per virtual disk.

If you don't care about the NFS details (filename, remote IP, etc), and if
by virtual disk you mean the local disks ZFS is using, then the io provider
should work fine.  If you don't see I/O, then ZFS is caching or buffering
it.

Brendan

http://dtrace.org/blogs/brendan