Hi Brendan,

really looking forward to the book. Very thoughtful to cover
non-Solaris OS as well. As you suggested I browsed chapter 5 and tried
 a couple of scripts. But nothing resolves my vmdk filenames. I tried
several providers syscall, fsinfo and nfsv3 and all give <unknown> as
filename when I do i/o on the disk. What puzzles me is that the
virtual machine lockfile filename is resolved. It appears that just
the vmdk files cannot be resolved. The very little amount of i/o
corresponds to the small cat and cp commands I used on the virtual
machine.
Why can't any provider each on a different layer revolve that filename?

Thanks,

Frederik

root@snv1# dtrace -n 'syscall::read:entry { @[fds[arg0].fi_pathname] =
count(); }'
dtrace: description 'syscall::read:entry ' matched 1 probe
^C

  /devices/pseudo/clone@0:ptm                                       2
  /etc/resolv.conf                                                  2
  <unknown>                                                         9

root@snv1# dtrace -n 'fsinfo:::read { @[args[0]->fi_pathname] = sum(arg1); }'
dtrace: description 'fsinfo:::read ' matched 1 probe
^C

  /var/adm/wtmpx                                                    4
  /etc/resolv.conf                                                350
  <unknown>                                                      1447
  /etc/default/nfs                                               3682
  /etc/inet/services                                             5398

root@snv1# ./nfsv3fileio.dtrace
Tracing... Hit Ctrl-C to end.
^C

      Rbytes       Wbytes  Pathname
           0          168  /mpool/running_vm/vm-frontend/.lck-8b00000000000000
           0          168
/mpool/running_vm/vm-installer46/.lck-2701000000000000
       81920         1340  <unknown>

root@snv1# cat nfsv3fileio.dtrace

#!/usr/sbin/dtrace -s

#pragma D option quiet

dtrace:::BEGIN
{
        trace("Tracing... Hit Ctrl-C to end.\n");
}

nfsv3:::op-read-done
{
        @readbytes[args[1]->noi_curpath] = sum(args[2]->res_u.ok.data.data_len);
}

nfsv3:::op-write-done
{
        @writebytes[args[1]->noi_curpath] = sum(args[2]->res_u.ok.count);
}

dtrace:::END
{
        printf("\n%12s %12s  %s\n", "Rbytes", "Wbytes", "Pathname");
        printa("%@12d %@12d  %s\n", @readbytes, @writebytes);
}