sad state of affairs about FedEx!  WOW, what an EYE opener!
I had a weird situation come about a year ago.  I gave a money order for a
COD package via FedEx.
The delivery guy was SUPPOSE to return the check to the main office before
going home.  He left me a note the next day that he accidentally WASHED his
jeans with the check in it, and could I get a new check to him!

I was suspicious, and would have to put a claim into the post office since it
was a postal money order. They at the Fed Ex office did verify that it was
indeed LOST, and they would reimburse me for the cost of check reissue!

WELL, that was over a year ago, and I did send them their check, but what I
should have done is TAKE OUT my money FIRST.  I really use to trust FedEx,
but the nightmare stories are changing my mind!  ONE thing you HAVE to give
Fed  Ex credit for, they make a phenomenal transport shipping box
specifically for laptops!

They are literally cushioned in air; you place the laptop onto a cardboard
frame that fits into the box, with firm clear plastic that works as a cushion
below and above the laptop.  You place the top half of a similar framed
cushion with another sheet of clear plastic and when you close the box, you
literally have the laptop cushioned in mid air.

SO, I only mention it since these are FREE and we can at least use the boxes
for any FUTURE shipping provided you cover over the obvious FED EX markings
all over the outside of the box.

Keep us posted on the progress of your laptop, and by all means, get a
LAWYER!  Fed Ex is being extremely irresponsible about how they are handling
this!  I'd also report it to the Attorney General's office in your state!

Alan