I received a 9600/300 shipped by FedEx and it was broken. Most of the
exterior plastic was broken and the metal frame was bent, but I had
insurance, at least the shipper did. He contacted FedEx, they sent me some
forms to fill out and had me get an estimate on repair cost. I got the
estimate, sent in the forms, so did the shipper and was told it would take 4
to 6 weeks to process. After 4 weeks the shipper contacted FedEx to see what
the status of the claim was and he was told that he had waited too long to
send in his claim and that they were no longer interested in dealing with
it. That is where we are at right now, and it doesn't look like FedEx is
going to even deal with the claim anymore.
This does seem to be their normal policy with claims and I don't use them
anymore unless I have to for just that reason.

>  Fortuniately, I thought, I had taken out insurance on the 2400c.   When I
> asked the supervisor about that he said that it could take up to six
> months to collect provided they could not located the 2400c, but that I
> would have to prove that the Powerbook 2400c was really in the package.
> I told him that the Fedex agent had put it into their box.  He said that
> that did not represent documentation.  I asked what would represent
> documentation?  He said he didn't know.  That was a legal issue.
>
> I asked him about follow up.  He said don't call us, we'll call you.
Don't hold you breath waiting for FedEx to call you, and if they do it will
be to tell you that too much time has passed and they are no longer
responsible.

> Just think the FedEx folks are taking over the package shipping for the
> US Postal Service.
>
> I'll keep you updated.
>
> Stan

I love their laptop boxes, but their claims department is just a bunch of
crooks, working hard to get out of paying justified claims.
Tom