> 1. What do you STILL use your Duo for, given its
> speed/RAM/storage/screen restrictions?

I actually use a Duo230 all day, every day. I mostly write software,
manage Unix servers, and write (email, reports, documentation, etc.).
I have Netscape 4.08 installed and it runs well, but since many
websites today are very heavy, I split my browsing between Lynx with
SSL (on Unix) and Netscape on a Quadra 650 (!).

> 2. Would the 2300 be capable of *playing* MP3s?
> CPU speed, storage capacity, lack of socket for h/phones - do you
> try anyway?

Mono sound... not much point.

> 3. Internet connection?
> What modem practically is useful (intl & extl, and/or via docks)?
> Will intl Apple modem from other models work in the Duo? Which
> ones? Anyone from Australia have Aus-specific info re modems?
> Do you use your Duo just for email, or browse (with iCab) too?

I've used Global Village and other external modems, and I use
Ethernet. I've never tried an internal modem (although I have one
now, sitting in my drawer). The Global Village Platinum 33.6 has
been very reliable and fast, and requires no special software.

> 4. What apps do you use regularly?

NiftyTelnet SSH, MacVIM, BBEdit, Calendar, ClarisWorks 2, Netscape
4.08, MacPerl.

Depending what you want/need to do, you may actually consider a
280/280c. If you will be working with text then you may find that
you won't need the PPC chip nor the IDE bus. The 040 chip give
very snappy performance for non-multimedia applications. If you
really want a multimedia computer, save your money for something
new. You'll be very disappointed otherwise.

Kris Feldmann