> Kris, I thought about ripping 32k, mono files for the duo, like I
> would upload to my Live365 stations, HD space permitting

That's a good idea - the files would be small. It might be easy to
hack a headphone jack into the case somewhere... Some mini docks
have a headphone jack, but mine (Newer UltraDock 16SCE) uses too
much power to be used with the battery. Also, the Duo won't sleep
with it attached.

> I'll also stcik with extl, unless someone here offers to mail me a
> reliable, working internal one - is it worthwhile for the
> portability?

You usually carry the Duo in a bag when traveling anyway, so it's
not a problem to throw a little modem in there too, along with a
spare battery, the Duo's A/C adapter, pens/pencils, etc.

> > The 040 chip give very snappy performance for
> > non-multimedia applications. If you really want a multimedia
> > computer, save your money for something new.
> > You'll be very disappointed otherwise.
> I thank you for this comment. Which gets us back to the question  -
> what is the most practical use of the Duo 2300, given its
> limitations?

This is a big question, one which I've agonized over myself
quite a lot. All Duos are very good with text, Claris Works,
email, etc. The 2300 is also capable of Photoshop, 3D rendering,
video editing (but not input/output), etc., but obviously not
at the level of a modern machine. Other issues that limit the
2300 as a graphic arts computer are, lack of USB, Firewire and
PCMCIA.  There is no convenient way to connect a digital
camera/camcorder directly, nor a flash memory card. Most new
printers and scanners use USB, etc. I use my Duo's for just
about everything and I accept (and work around) the limitations
of connectivity. The 2300 will play movies, but not most of the
movie trailers, etc. you find on the 'net today (you can play
the little 56k trailers, but not the nice big, full-screen,
24fps trailers). It can browse the web, but most websites are
designed for larger screens today - mostly 800x600 and larger.
It will run Photoshop, but the normal color depth is 8bit
(terrible for pixel editing) and the maximum with sacrificed
desktop space (640x400) is only 16bit (not bad looking, but
smooth gradients will still show banding. 16bit color is not
acceptable for detailed pixel editing*). As to the idea that
the PPC will provide more flexibility by supporting newer
software, you are correct, however most new software I've
come across requires (at least parts of) a newer operating
system. I have an 8500/120 at home that was absolutely ruined
by installing OS 9. It used to be a fast, powerful machine,
but no longer. I had to upgrade in order to install a driver
for my new Cannon inkjet printer. A 2300 will run 8.6 (and maybe
9??) but being that it has about the same overall performance as
a 6100 desktop (but with a slower disk) I think that would tend to
remove any semblance of speed. Maybe someone who runs a modern
version on a 2300 can comment.

After 4 years of Duo use, I've settled on using a Duo230 (68030)
for everything except graphic arts. The battery runs for more than
three hours in the 230, something that a 2300 cannot do.

Kris Feldmann

* If you are good with your old-school techniques, you'll know that
you can perform good photo editing in Photoshop with as little as an
8bit grayscale monitor, but it takes a lot more time and skill!