>To whom it may concern, I just installed an 80 MHz osc. in place of the
>factory 66.6667 MHz osc. in my duo 280c and have been up and running for
>a few hours now with no observed adverse affects. The temperature is
>very similar. It varies according to how much the hard drive is running
>and how much the CPU is working, but I have not seen it go over 100 F
>yet. My house is cool today. I am sure it will run hotter out in my
>pickup where I mainly use it connected to a GPS receiver. Anyway, as Mad
>Dog said, it may be a roll of the dice whether or not any given 280c
>will run at 40 MHz (80 MHz osc.) but this one I am using works and with
>no downside as far as I can see. MacBench 1.1 gives it a processor
>score, floating point score (which the duo 280 doesn't even have) and
>most 'video related stuff' score of about 16 to 22 percent faster than stock.
>Greg

Make sure to test all the ports when running at 40 MHz.  If you have
athermocouple, test the temp at 33 and 40 MHz.  I am in the middle of
testing a new heat pad to replace Apples rippled heat pad for the
duos.

Well, heck, lets just report what I have now:

I put a thermocouple on top of the heastsink of a 280c:

thermocouple ---
heat sink ------
heat pad ------
CPU  --------

I ran two iterations of battery amnesia for 1/2 hour.  The average
temp registered by the thermocouple at that time was ~52 C.

Now, under the exact same conditions, but using a new heat pad
replacing the apple heat pad, I ran 2 more of the same tests.

This time, the average temperature was ~57 C.

Now, I take this to mean that the new heat pad is better at
conducting heat to the heat sink.  I have already talked to another
engineer, but he isnt sure my interpretation is correct.

What do you think ?

Mad Dog