Out of the box the 2400 could handle what where then called PCMCIA cards(16 bit), if the machine you have was cardbus upgraded then it can hancle those plus PC cards (32 bit).

The key thing being that you need the modified drivers to control the upgrade and of course a the cards. (firewire,USB, 100T ethernet etc.)

What happens when you insert a USB card? What OS are you using?

If it is not modified then you may have overpaid you did not mention the total price.
At the very least it was a misrepresentation of goods, give him a bad feedback and file a complaint with Ebay.

BG