Of course, Michael's right....
converting back and forth will in any case degrate quality more than
necessary... but if there's no cut tool for MJPEG that's the only
possibility!

Assuming that the camera format has a very moderate compression
and you use also a very large bitrate for the MPEG2 (probably more than
the DVD target implies... try -b 10000k on the RIGHT side of the target switch
to overrule the default), I wouldn't expect that you see the difference IF
the resulting Video has to be a rather small DIVX-AVI in the end (with
[EMAIL PROTECTED]). If not... I would use a suitable MPEG2 bitrate and
stay with the cutted MPEG2 video (in 720x576 resolution and burned as a DVD?),
i.e. omitting the last conversion!

I'm pretty sure ffmpeg can deal with that MJPEG... if you try:
"ffmpeg -formats" you can find it in the list of codecs... ;-)
But "lav2mpeg" will also work... and is maybe even better since it's more
specialized for this kind of conversion... I don't know!

BTW, just calling "ffmpeg -i video.avi" will give you information about the
video (Duration, Bitrate, A/V codec)... the last 3-4 lines of output...:)

ciao
Ralph

PS: The material from a DV camera is usually interlaced...
so you either have to use "-deinterlace" to get a progressive video
or "-ildct -ilme" to tell the mpeg2-codec of ffmpeg to support interlaced
motion estimation resp. cosine transformation.

The coice depends on the device where you want to watch the resulting
video... PC or TV!

Also DVBcut can not deal with videos, where the interlaced stream is stored
seperately with 50Hz half-frames, instead of 25Hz full frames (containing the
two half ones). Michael mentioned that already... you can see this also at
the ffmpeg output lines... ;-)