Wow!  I'm sure learning a lot today.  Thanks guys!  ffmpeg reports the
following from one of the .avi files from my digital camera:

Duration: 00:01:26.1, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 15622 kb/s
  Stream #0.0: Video: mjpeg, yuvj422p, 640x480, 30.00 fps(r)
  Stream #0.1: Audio: pcm_s16le, 44100 Hz, mono, 705 kb/s

I tried AVIDEMUX and it works perfectly (once I learned how to do it)
to cut up an .avi file directly.  Then I can use ffmpeg to shrink the
resulting file and turn it into an mpg for ease of e-mailing.  Sure,
the quality is much worse but I'm not too particular about that at the
moment since I just want certain portions of the .avi file and then
the smallest file size possible.

If I was putting it on a DVD, I would have to do things differently
and implement many of your suggestions.  Not there yet though.  :-)

Thanks again for all the valuable information!  I guess you'll make a
Linux video GEEK out of me yet!

Footer