I've been doing a lot of searching through Gov't documents, which are accessible through the internet. It substantiated some very interesting, although well known, information. Amateur Radio is expressly prohibited on KP5 islands. Those of you who were active in the late 80's and early 90's remember those problems, and accusations. I will always remember some Gov't official both on the TV news and in the print media making a statement to the effect he had see cleaner garbage dumps than the conditions left behind by the ham-radio operators who were at KP5. As it turns out no one, especially a low-level bureaucrat, at F&W has the authority to give permission for ham radio at KP5.
I  decided to reply to Zack's posting because he said: ""I do have some trust in the ARRL and believe they had a valid reason to OK the operation."". The ARRL has ACCREDITATION CRITERIA.  How about the recent P5 acceptance. There is no doubt the guy was there in P5 just like there is no doubt the KP5 guys were there. Just being there is NOT good enough.

SECTION III. ACCREDITATION CRITERIA
b) In countries where Amateur Radio operation has not been permitted or has been suspended or where some reluctance to authorize amateur stations has been noted, authenticating documents may be required before accrediting an operation.
c) Special permission may be required from a governmental agency or private party before entering certain DXCC Entities for the purpose of conducting amateur radio operations even though the Entity is part of a country with no amateur radio restrictions. Examples of such Entities are Desecheo I. (KP5); Palmyra I. (KH5), and Glorioso Islands (FR/G).

As I pointed out above, and I think it is pretty widely known, special permission for KP5 is just not routinely going to happen, it almost requires an act of Congress.

SECTION III. ACCREDITATION CRITERIA
4. These accreditation requirements are intended to preserve the integrity of the DXCC program and to ensure that the program does not encourage amateurs to "bend the rules" in their enthusiasm, possibly jeopardizing the future development of Amateur Radio. Every effort will be made to apply these criteria uniformly and to make a determination consistent with these objectives.

In the case of the recent P5 and most recent KP5 the rules were not just bent they were looped back around themselves.
As I said once already, and was soundly criticized, my dues are paid up and I'm a full member of the ARRL. I want to see the special documents, as required, used to approve KP5. Otherwise don't use the words "integrity" and DXCC in the same sentence. Please don't tell me I can see the documents in Bernie's rag, I pay my dues to the ARRL not W3UR.
73

MAL
N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
http://www.ctaz.com/~suzyq/N7mal.htm
http://geocities.com/n7mal/
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
It's already tomorrow in Australia